Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

× Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer

Topic-icon fabric attachment near fuel tank.

• Jerry Brady
  • Jerry Brady's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #1893

After removing the cover over the R. fuel tank i found the fabric on the rib outboard of the tank was no longer attached. The only thing holding the fabric was the screws that held the tank cover. It appears that the fabric at one time was glued to the rib with no rib stitching . Is this a normal situation and does anyone have ideas for a repair ?.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #1895

I suggest you re-glue the fabric to the rib. I believe that Poly Fiber Poly Tac or Fab Tac Fabric cement will work fine to re-glue the fabric to the rib.
You will probably have to loosen and soften the existing cement/paint on the fabric. MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works best for this but be careful as MEK is a very "hot" solvent and must be used only in well ventilated areas.
Poly Tac will cost under $20 per pint; while Fab Tac is slightly less.
Poly Tac is thinned with MEK to get a good consistency.
You are going to have to come up with a way to hold tension on the fabric as you pull it down around the rib. Clamps and weights may work.
During the original installation a hot iron was applied to the "cloth" to shrink it and tighten up the fabric on the wing. If you try to tighten the fabric using and iron be very careful--if the iron is too hot it will burn the fabric thus creating a big problem
You can put a few stitches in the area where the fabric came loose to hold it in position if you think it's necessary.
You can download the entire Poly Fiber and the Ceconite manual for free at this site:
www.conaircraft.com/download-manuals .
Either of these manuals will provide a wealth of information on fabrics, thinners, covering systems, etc.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Brady

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds