Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Relocating oil cooler on PA28-140

• Marc123
  • Marc123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #1004

PA28-140 originally has the exhaust on the firewall. I installed a PowerFlow exhaust and it is now located at the front of the engine. I'm concerned about an oil fire if the oil cooler leaks, so I want to install at the rear of the engine. This would put the oil cooler in the same location that the PA28-161 currently has. I would be using all Piper parts for the relocation.

Does anyone know of an STC or Field Approval for this mod? I am an A&P with IA and the local FSDO would like to know if this mod has been previously accomplished before they would give me a field approval. I consider this a Safety modification (I don't care to find out what would happen if the oil cooler were to leak and have an oil fire inflight, I would like to avoid this situation).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Marc123
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #1078

Finally got the Field Approval to move the oil cooler from the front to the rear of the engine.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1112

I also installed a powerful and would appreciate any information you might want to share with regard to relocation, line location and mostly rerouted air cooling ducts.
I'm at . I am also an A&P and work with numerous IA's.

Thank much.
Lydell

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1113

I meant to say PowerFlow. Dang Smart Phone.

• Marc123
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1114

Here's what i sent to the FSDO. I had new type D oil lines made up at acft spruce...you could also order the oil lines for a PA28-161 and they would work. All other parts (baffles and oil cooler mount) were Piper parts that are from a Warrior (PA28-161). I used my original oil cooler with 90 degree fittings and it worked OK.

Let me know how it works for you.

Marc

More
2 months 6 days ago #1115

Thanks for the information. Just a quick question or two. Did you list all the parts on a 337 and include a sketch or diagram of the new placement before you actually went to FSDO to start the approval process? And if so, can you share the parts list with me as I am going to go out to Wentworth (they on my home field) and look for all the necessary arts minus the lines. I sure appreciate it as I have often thought about the oil leak problem myself. The plane starts its annual end of august so it would be great timing if I can get it done. Plus with the new AD for oil lines again the timing is perfect.
Thanks so much.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds