Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

Topic-icon Aircraft Tugs

• PFA Staff 4
  • PFA Staff 4's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #377

Hi everyone,
As my aircraft tug enters it's 22nd year, it's time to replace it this spring. I've been looking at various vendors but I'm interested in what works for you and what you may have.

Happy New Year,
Scott Sherer
N344TB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #378

Getting the aircraft back in the hangar is more of a challenge for me (than pulling it out of the hangar), so I have an electric winch bolted to the floor in the back of the hangar. It has a wired remote so I can steer the nose wheel while the winch pulls it back into the hangar. Still pull the aircraft out (by hand) with a tow bar. Works well for me....

More
3 years 9 months ago #409

David,
I use a Power Tow model KEY EZ from Northwest Manufacturing 800-635-5565. I used it for 14 years with my Seneca and all I had to change when I got my Lance was the adapters. My model has a 5 hp engine but now they come with 6.76 hp. I would buy another one.
Keith

• PFA Staff 4
  • PFA Staff 4's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #412

That's good to hear, Keith. I have a Northwest Engineering tug now and it's high on my list as my replacement vendor. We'll see what happens this spring!

Best,

Scott Sherer
N344TB

More
3 years 9 months ago #417

Scott:

Three years ago I bought a Sidewinder (watch the attached video) and am really impressed! It's easy to use, has lots of power and even folds up so you can take it with you in your plane. The battery lasts for about 12 uses. To me it's much better than a large gas powered unit. Unlike a gas engine it always starts. It has a variable speed motor. You do need to purchase a different adaptor for Piper/Beech or Cessna aircraft.

More
3 years 8 months ago #445

Hi:

I've been using a 4 HP Northwest tow on my Apache for twenty years.

I had to replace the tire once. It does a great job of moving my plane

in and out of the hanger.

Paul Later
4188P

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds