Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon Fuel Contaminations

• JOHN MENDES
  • JOHN MENDES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 2 months ago #940

I have owned a 1973 Arrow II for 32 years. About a year ago I started having "light tea" colored fuel from the fuel filter / gascolator on rare occasions. Both tank sumps run clear, no contamination. On two reason occasions I have had dark gray colored fuel from fuel filter, again the both sumps run clear. Fuel filter / gascolator has been serviced and checked a couple times. I have had the tanks removed and checked, the small rubber fuel line replaced between the fuel tank and the hard line. I have never seen any indication of the engine being effected, no power changes, no roughness, no EGT or CHT temperature change, etc. Any thoughts on what else this could possibly be?
Thanks, Jack

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #944

Steve Ells is away at a conference, but took a couple of minutes to reply with this:
, the only thing that I can think of would be a deteriorating rubber hose between one of the fuel tanks and the gascolater.

I don't have the exact parts book here but the one I have seems to show a flexible hose connecting the right tank to the rigid lines.
Unfortunately I believe the tank has to be removed to get at that hose.
That's my best evaluation but I would urge our subscriber to call an experienced service center or Piper customer svc. for a second opinion.

• JOHN MENDES
  • JOHN MENDES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 years 2 months ago #948

After removing the fuel tanks, replacing the two short rubber fuel lines, and finding nothing. I decided to start checking the other direction from the gascolator, toward the engine. It was engine oil, a small weep from the mechanical / engine driven fuel pump. Oil was getting through the fuel pump diaphragm, when the airplane was stationary a small amount of oil would settle down through the fuel line, through the electric pump into the gascolator. Replace the fuel pump, problem went away.

Jen D, thanks for your reply.

More
2 years 2 months ago #952

That's a very unusual problem. Sorry I led you astray there. Thanks for sharing your results of your dogged pursuit of this.
Happy Flying

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds