Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

× Welcome to the Piper Flyer forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon Navajo 325 CR

• Anthony Armbrister
  • Anthony Armbrister's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
3 months 1 week ago #1687

I’m in the process of purchasing a 78 Navajo 325 CR, I’m looking for information on maintenance problems and operations lean of peak, operating costs. Any information will be welcome. Thanks Tony (New Member)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1704

Wow great choice.
Maintenance...everything rubber is 41yo and near death. Checkhose tags for fuel conveyance, hydraulic lines, and engine hoses. Many of mine were original and I replaced (parts) with Precision Hose Technology kits for Under 1000$ for all hydraulics, under 700$ for all fuel conveyance. Cheap parts, your mechanic speed determines the total cost.
See Kathryn's Report for Navajo ruptured hydraulic line, gear up crash, total loss.
LOP...zealots on both sides. Discussing causes lifelong friends to go their separate ways. Same as religion. Whatever you decide, keep it to yourself.
Last, keep a large separate bank account, tell her things like, "it's all going to be fine", or "isn't the plane beautiful?", and "do you want to go to the bahamas for the weekend?"

• Anthony Armbrister
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1705

Hi Marc, Thank you for the information on the hydraulic system, I will make it a point to have that checked during the Pre-Buy inspection and the annual they will perform before I take delivery. This airplane had firewall forward with Lycoming factory engines 800 hours ago so I suspect all the hoses got replaced then, but once again I will insist that be verified. My last plane was a Baron 58, I had it for 28 years unfortunately it got totaled due to a mechanics mistake. no injuries but on more Baron 58. I wanted to move up to the Navajo to give my wife more space and more comfort. I just hope the added cost aren't too much more. Once again thanks.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1706

Great
Do you have a mechanic that has experience with Navajos? There is a long list of ADs that need to have been complied with. It took me a day to sort through the logs with my very experienced Navajo mechanic on my PA-31 purchase.
You need to have access to all of the manuals which is expensive, 1200$/year from ATP.
www.atp.com/
Access to up to date manuals for maintenance and annual is required by the FAA. No one that works on my plane has access, I provide with a logon password.
AD information all on ATP along with Illustrated parts catalogs, maintenance manuals, and service bulletins.
I think the PA-31-325 has a TBO of 1800 hrs so 800hr engines are nice if used properly since install.
That sounds squared away.
I think that you are right that the engine hoses should have been replaced with the engine replacement, just check the tag on the hoses for quick reference, of course log book should have documented.
Again the hydraulic and fuel conveyance hoses which are different and are cheap insurance.
Barons better off totaled (ouch, coming from a navajo driver) although it sounds like it was your "baby". Sorry to see it go, glad you were not injured.
Navajo is definitely a step up. Way more plane, you will grow 2-3 inches while on the ramp, chest out.
Making the wife happy is important, married 30 yrs (to the same), got that. Space is no comparison, aisle, bulk heads, potty seat, you win.
Good luck

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1707

if you want an avionics upgrade I know how to do it.

• Anthony Armbrister
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1708

This airplane has good avionics and a SETC 55X auto pilot. It only need ADS-B upgrade.
I do not have a mechanic familiar with the Navajo.
I will check our ATP for manuals. Myself being new to this airplane I appreciate your help.
Can you give me any idea as to cruise speeds and fuel consumption, or recommend a place to find the information?
Thanks for all your knowledge.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds