Piper Flyer Association - Technical Know-how, Serious Fun read more

× Welcome to the Piper Flyer forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon Navajo 325 CR

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #1709

All performance specs in the approved flight manual, there is a nice table for altitude, power settings, and speeds.
There are plenty of navajo series planes around flying PA-31, PA-31-300, PA-31-325, PA-31-350. You may have to ask around at several shops to see if one of your local shops takes care of one already. May have to check in another city close by too. Small squawks no big deal but system problems need some knowledge and experience.

Doing a Garmin avionics redo...

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony Armbrister
  • Anthony Armbrister's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #1711

WOW, beautiful panel, I'm afraid the plane I'm looking at is still has steam gages + 530W, 430W and a 696. I can only dream about you panel!!

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #1712

2 quick pre buy tips.
1. Electric windshield is required (there is an STC for a hot plate replacement) for flights with ice. These are very expensive if you can find one. Minimum used 15-17K$ If it doesn't work you have a NO ice plane that in my opinion is unacceptable. If you really want that particular hull, I would drop price 50K$. The labor and parts (other than the windshield) to replace that windshield would run around 5K$ Down time, headache $ too.
2. Log book evaluation with the list of ADs - airworthiness directives and SBs - service bulletins (SB many of which Piper considers mandatory) is crucial. Last AD effective 6/2017 requires a structural fix and kit. There has been fatigue cracking in the fuselage station 332.00 bulkhead common to the horizontal stabilizer front spar attachment that was a SB now an AD. Just more dollars if not already completed. There are 65 ADs and 46 SBs for the PA-325 that should have been complied with since new. If there is any discrepancies not taken care of by previous owners, and you still want the hull...drop the price, then you have the job to fix. All ADs need to be completed to maintain airworthiness of the aircraft. Errors have been known to occur. Time and money will fix though.

More
1 week 3 days ago #1732

I've had my '76 C/R for 5 1/2 years now and love it, but I've put a lot of maintenance hours into it.
Regarding LOP operation, I love what Mark Davidson said. Personally I tried LOP for a while and I don't do it anymore. Long story and that's all I'll say about it...
I elect to cruise at 29-30" MAP and 2,200 RPM which is about 60-65% when in the 8-10,000' range. I elect to set the analog EGTs between 1450 and 1500° which results in about 17.5 GPH per side, somewhat rich of peak and a TAS of 170 K. The engines seem very 'happy' there, so that's what I've done for the last 2 1/2 years. Certainly you could pour more gas to it to gain 10 or 20K, but I don't.
There are now TWO "Fuselage cracks" ADs:
1) 2016-05-01 (4/15/2016) for fuselage sta. 317.75 which has two parts: an inspection every 100 hours and a required modification due by 500 hrs. TIS after 4/15/2016. I have yet to do the required modification and I'm not looking forward to it.
2) 2017-10-20 (6/29/2017) for fuselage sta. 332.0 inspection which is due by 500 hrs. TIS after 6/29/2017. This is apparently difficult to do [correctly], and can get quite involved (removing entire tail, etc.) if the modification to remove the AD is desired.
I mentioned these to a guy buying a Navajo who just wanted the modifications done as he took possession and it cost a bit over $10,000 to complete them. The installer said he'd "never do it for only that much again."
There is a 50 hour AD on the fuel pumps (visual inspection for leaks) and a 60 hour / 6 month AD on the exhaust system (visual inspection) and several fairly easy 100 hr. ADs.
All in all, we love the airplane - the comfort, smoothness, performance, redundancy and reliability.
Best of luck with your purchase.

• Anthony Armbrister
  • Anthony Armbrister's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
1 week 2 days ago #1733

Hi Rick, I really appreciate your input. Being new to the Navajo, this information very helpful. between you and Mark you've given me a better idea about what it take to keep the Navajo running smoothly. All the AD information has been an eye opener. if you think of anything else I'll appreciate the information.
Once again thanks.

Time to create page: 4.276 seconds