1925-1926 North Star Aerial Corp. founded at Rochester, N.Y. by Clarence Gilbert and Gordon Taylor using a restored Curtiss Jenny
1928 Moved to Bradford, Penn. and formed the Taylor Brothers Aircraft Co. (TBAC)
1928 William Thomas Piper Sr., an oil man, joins the TBAC Board of Directors
1928-1930 TBAC produces the side-by-side A-2, B-2, C-2 Chummy aircraft
1930 D-1 glider made
1930 TBAC bankrupt, W.T. Piper Sr. purchases assets and renames it Taylor Aircraft Co. with C.G. Taylor as Chief Engineer; 50-50 ownership
12 Sept 1930 E-2 attempts to get airborne with Tiger Kitten engine supplied by the Light Manufacturing and Foundry Co.
The engine engenders the name “Cub”
23 Sept 1930 E-2 Cub flies with pilot Bud Havens, Salmson engine
March 1931 First E-2 Cub with Continental A40 engine
1931 E-2 production commences. Also F-2, G-2 and H-2
1931 Walter Jamoneau joins Taylor Aircraft Co.
1935 J-2 Cub designed by W. Jamoneau whilst C.G. Taylor is away ill
December 1935 W.T. Piper Sr. and C.G. Taylor split, Piper buys out Taylor’s half;
C.G. Taylor sets up Taylor-Young Co. in Ohio (later Taylorcraft)
March 1937 Bradford factory burned to the ground
June 1937 Taylor Aircraft Co. moves to an abandoned silk mill at Lock Haven, Penn.
Please login to continue enjoying members-only content.
This section of the article is only available for our Members. Please click here to join to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.